Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

got tagged
Jun 13, 2001

DR/PROFF im turning to you as a teenage who has never done any harm to another in his life, i have not drank, not smoked, not had sex, and stayed away from drugs in my entire 15 years of living. and i have nice school grades, i always wanted to work in hightech/research and be good in math, but another teenage did the thing that might have changed my life forever, he placed an injector in me on purpose and im sure it has HIV. im not going to go through all the tests and my medic situation now but my doctor and my parents say there is almost no way im sick. however this is one of the few times in my life that i simply cant rust and believ them, i cant get the fact out of my mind that they are just telling it to me to relax. everything that i wanted to achive, everything i done, it feels like its breaking apart now.i am thankfull that the summer holidays are coming, i dont want to know the affects it could have had on my study. but waiting now 6 month's for the tests is just unbearable. i dunno if i should just put an end to my life now or let the HIV do it. either way i feel very angry that because of a corrupted kid i am going to go down. i have also those mixed feelings of void and the fact that nothing really matters anymore.

need your help, regards.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

You have every reason to be afraid and really, really angry, especially being that you are so young. But even if you do eventually test HIV positive that is not a reason to end your life. Millions of different people have learned how to live meaningful lives that are filled with uncertainty and difficulties, and there is no reason why you can not do the same, whether or not you test positive for HIV.

I really urge you to ask your parents or doctor to help you find a good mental health professional in whom you can confide all of your feelings. You sound like you need so much support right now. You deserve to have all the help you need to assist you in getting through this very difficult period in your life.

Best of luck.

Michael Shernoff

Previous
New partner is avoiding intimacy
Next
Why can I not be happy?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.