is it pointless to get tested for HIV after 3 weeks?

How likely is it that an HIV test done at 3 weeks after exposure would show an infection exists? Jusdging from what Ive read it would not be very conclusive or accurate at this point in time. The problem is I have been suffering terribly not knowing whether or not I could have been infected and desperately await an answer so that I can attepmpt to get on with my life. If I tested negative at a 3 week point would it be very accurate at all? Would it give any hope that I have not contracted the virus? Should I wait longer to get tested? Im just having troubke living day to day thinking I could have something, I have lost interest in everything and I am only 20.(and it has only been 2 weeks since the risky situation)

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I do not know the answer to this question as I am not an expert in this area.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Symptoms of the disease or the mind
What are symptoms of stress?