Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Reproductive Possibilities
Jul 12, 1999

Michael, I am a nurse looking for information about the issues surrounding HIV+ women and PLANNED pregnancy. I have done lengthy literature reviews and have found little on this subject. I find that most of the information surrounds women who find out their HIV status during their pregnancy and not prior to their pregnancy. The reason for my search is that I have recently been involved in the care of a woman who had been + for 10 years plus and based on her low viral count, high CD4 count and the trmt available felt that the risk of transmission was low enough to plan a pregnancy and deliver by C-Section followed by AZT trmt of the infant. I am interested in the the mental and emotional issues as well as the socitial pressures for women, surrounding the choice to become pregnant based on low risk for vertical transmission. I suspect this will be a more common case presentation as the trmt options continue to increase and the risk for transmission decreases. Also with the growing numbers of heterosexual women who are testing positive the population to which this might apply is increasing. Thank-You, A Health Care Provider Trying to Understand

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I am not at all knowledgeable in the area of HIV and reproductive health and do not know the literature or resources. Perhaps if you resubmitted your question to the Body's medical expert he culd direct you to the right places to get the kind of information you require. Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
dont know if Im sane or insane anymore
Next
A story about needless anxiety

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.