Reproductive Possibilities

Michael, I am a nurse looking for information about the issues surrounding HIV+ women and PLANNED pregnancy. I have done lengthy literature reviews and have found little on this subject. I find that most of the information surrounds women who find out their HIV status during their pregnancy and not prior to their pregnancy. The reason for my search is that I have recently been involved in the care of a woman who had been + for 10 years plus and based on her low viral count, high CD4 count and the trmt available felt that the risk of transmission was low enough to plan a pregnancy and deliver by C-Section followed by AZT trmt of the infant. I am interested in the the mental and emotional issues as well as the socitial pressures for women, surrounding the choice to become pregnant based on low risk for vertical transmission. I suspect this will be a more common case presentation as the trmt options continue to increase and the risk for transmission decreases. Also with the growing numbers of heterosexual women who are testing positive the population to which this might apply is increasing. Thank-You, A Health Care Provider Trying to Understand

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I am not at all knowledgeable in the area of HIV and reproductive health and do not know the literature or resources. Perhaps if you resubmitted your question to the Body's medical expert he culd direct you to the right places to get the kind of information you require. Michael Shernoff, MSW

dont know if Im sane or insane anymore
A story about needless anxiety