Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why am I putting myself and other at risk HIV
Sep 1, 1999

Michael.

Problem:

I am having unsafe sex with multiple partners. I am allowing my-self to engage in this behaivor knowing full well that contracting AIDS is possible. My decesed boyfriend had sex with me and had AIDS. I was luckey not to get HIV then!! However I am in the window period and waiting to be retested again. With full knowledge that I may have HIV I am sill putting not only my-self at HIGH RISK but ALSO OTHERS by having unsafe sex while waiting for my results.

I have a lot going for me now. Graduated from Law school, Good job,bright future. I am very smart and know what I am doing is wrong but cant stop. I know I may die. Even worse I know I may give others AIDS. BUT I DONT SEEM TO CARE about my-self or others.

Mentaly I am creating problmes and risks for my-self that I don't need. But more trubling is that I am also creating problems for others I don't know. My-self respect must be low because I am hurtting my-self, Family, Friends and sexual partners.

I KNOW I need to stop not only for my own safty but for the saftey of others. I am seeking proficial help but have not worked through this problem with success.

Please help me to help my-self and to stop spreding aids. People need to know that if your partner says he is negitive NOW, He/she may be in the window priod and may actulay be able to infect you even when he says he is currently negitive.

Why am I putting my self through this problem while I know that I may have aids because I need to be retested

Response from Mr. Shernoff

There are no simple explanations for why you are behaving in the self-destructive ways that you describe. You may be angry that your partner died, and/or you may be acting out a wide variety of other issues or unresolved conflicts from earlier times in your life. I would be a complete charlatan if I tried to give you an analysis of what is causing you to act as you are. I am glad that you have begun professional counseling in ana ttempt to both gain insight into why you are doing the things you do and to try and get help now to stop.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Newly diagnosed HIV +ve and basket case
Next
Why the paranoia?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.