Moving close to home

Dear Michael, I have hiv+ for 2+ years. I live in the west. I recently accepted a job in FL to be closer to my family and re-connect with old friends. Is this a healthy attitude? I also need a change in surroudings. Thanks for input.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

You do not give me enough information to tell you whether or not your relocating is based on healthy choices. Relocating as an adult is always a very complicated decision to make. What kind of support system and friends are you leaving behind? For instance, are you moving back in preparation for dying and thus expecting that your friends and family will be around to help take care of you, or because you are very close to them, value the relationships and want to have the ability to enjoy them while you have your health? I hope that if you are gay, then your whole family and all your friends in Florida know this as well as that you are HIV+ and that they are all loving and supportive. If your decision is life affirming and makes you feel free and good about yourself then most likely it is a good one. If you are feeling trapped then probably it is not a wise choice. I hope that you have spent alot of time thinking through all of your reasons for wanting to do this and all of hte possible ramifications. Best of luck and hope it goes well for you. Michael Shernoff, MSW

GET HELP - IT WORKS!!
self help