The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is poor mental health due to progression of AIDS

Nov 30, 1999

I am a 48yo male homosexual. I was diagnosed with AIDS in March '97 when I was hospitalized with PCP. I had never been tested before that. In reviewing my history, I believe that I have been HIV+ at least since the mid 80's. My lastest blood test show viral load undectecable and CD4 at 138@8%. Also since the mid80's I have been suffering from depression, social phobia and panic disorder. I was diagnosed by my Physician and started taking Prozac and going to counseling in '93. I stopped taking Prozac in May '97 when I lost perscription coverage. Over the past year I have been experiencing constant and deep depression. On 11/1/99 I started taking Desipramine and also started counseling at the community services office.I felt that this was helping for a short time but, as time goes on I no longer feel that I am improving. During the past 6 months I feel as though "something" is going on in my brain. I don't know exactly how to describe what I feel. I have been totally drained of all energy both physically and mentally. I can feel sensations in my head, but I don't describe this as headaches. And my mental health is very poor in my opinion. I am not sure how to discuss this with my ID specialist because I don't know if this is psychological or physical, and I am afraid that I will come across as a complainer. This is not in any way connected to the way my doctor treats me, he is excellent. This is just a fear of mine. If I was to pose my thoughts as a guestion to you, I would ask: "Is my psychological/mental state a symptom of the progression of AIDS and what can I do to find some degree of relief in this area."

Response from Mr. Shernoff

First just describe how you are feeling to your ID doctor and ask for a referral to a psychiatrist who is also a specialist in HIV. It is difficult but necessary to obtain a good diagnostic assessment of how much of the problem is physiological and how much reactive to the disease. But from your own description, you have had a major and long standing depresive illness for many years that has responded well to treatment in the past. Many people plateau on their anti-depressant medications and often need to have the dosages or even the drugs changed. But you really need to have a sophisticated psychiatric work up done in order to obtain the best treatment. Michael Shernoff, MSW

concerned sister
Depression related to HIV/AIDS

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint