Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thank you doctor
Dec 30, 1999

Hi Dr.- I wrote to you last june, I was the horror tale guy. You urged me to go to psycotherapy to help me relieve my severe anxiety and depression. Part of the problem was I kept reading ridiculous false negative stories that increased my problems to the extreme.I went for professional help, and the combo of zoloft and cognitive therapy changed my life back to normal.This suggestion of yours really worked!!!! I sure hope the rest of these people who have HIV related anxiety do the same thing and they will learn exactly how irrational their fears are.It's a common thing for people who are depressed to go on the net or read books and spend countless hours diagnosing themselves with deadly diseases. Then they get mad at the doctors for telling them theres nothing physically wrong and maybe you should see a psychiatrist.Just to help people understand what I'm saying- these stories go something like this-" I tested 25 times over 6 years and they were all negative, then on my 26th test I tested positive. I had no exposures since then, hell I never even had sex, I think someone with AIDS breathed on me yeah that was it!!!!!! Thats exactly how much sense most of these stories make. I again want to thank you Dr. for helping me change my life and hope the rest of you with the same thing I had do the same.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

You're very welcome. Thank you very much for sharing your positive outcome. I am glad that you are feeling better. ALl the best for a good year. Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Adjusting to disability
Next
I think I need help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.