im scared to stop being scared?

michael, i have been worried that i may have contracted hiv for a short while now. even though every person every clinic every hotline says that i am at no real risk. and im starting to believe them it seems logic is prevailing, but not just yet now im scared to stop being scared. ill explain what i mean by this, i was or am convinced that i had the symptoms of accute viral symdrome but really i dont. but i dont want to lull mysef into a falce sense of complacency because then if the symptoms do really hit me i will have a nervous breakdown. at least if im scared about hiv its possible thatmy mind could be creating my symptoms and i need reassurance that i dont have hiv. so now ive got a whole new set of problems - i am scared to stop being scared. what the hell is going on with me???

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I really do not have any idea of what may be going on with you other than you report needing the fears regarding HIV to distract you from other, probably more serious emotional or mental problems. I urge you to find a good mental health professional and begin to work with him or her in order to get to the root of what is going on. getting an opinion on the internet will not suffice to help you do the work that you need to do in order to get better. You need and should begin psychotherapy as soon as possible. Michael Shernoff, MSW

advice for people in the window period
SO SCARED