Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"hiv " scare is affecting me day to day
Feb 4, 2000

some months ago I sat next to a discarded needle on a public train. the needle did not go anywhere near injuring me, but the fear of (possibly) catching HIV from something as "stupid" as a discarded needle has me thoroughly checking train seats, taxi seats and the very ground that I walk on ever since. is this the start of some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder, based on my fear of contracting HIV? sometimes I have to check a public seat 2 or 3 times until I am satisfied that I can sit down safely without being injured by a needle that might be there. I know the link to HIV in this case is more tenuous than in other posts on your list, but it is still fear of the disease that is causing me to do these things, nevertheless. can you suggest anything? thank you.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

It is not obsessive to make sure that since you once saw a discarded needle to insure that every time you sit in public you make certain that there are no used syringes in your vicinity to possibly stick you. This seems a logical and sensible precaution for you to be taking. If the fear does not diminish over time, and you either find it getting worse

or interfering with your daily life then you might want to consider consulting with a mental health professional.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Always Blue
Next
could the effects of being worried well be long lasting?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.