Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Coming apart....
Feb 9, 2000

Hi Dr. Shernoff, I wrote last may asking for perspective on my partner with HIV dementia. At that time, we were having a great deal of difficulty in terms of his expectations for a "normal" relationship with me in spite of all my misgivings and horrible feelings about the situation and our recent history.

Finally, after much searching and counseling, it is coming apart. It's tough for me to see our 17-year relationship dissolve, but we're seeing a counselor who is telling us that we are being destructive to one another and who is telling me that my partner likely needs to move somewhere where others can care for him as it is overwhelming for me at this time (after 3 years of hell).

It's very difficult for both of us (as you can imagine), but we both have hopes for the future. He hopes for another lover who will meet his needs better than I; I hope for some peace & quiet with space to figure out what to do with my life now without having to worry about taking care of someone who is declining.

Breaks my heart to stay and also to go. If I stay, I lose him piece by piece and we fight; if I go, I feel guilty a bit for walking away.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Your feelings are completely understandable. Are you getting therapy to support you during this very difficult period of transition? If not, I urge you to find a good professional to work with at least for the short term.

It sounds like for your own well being and for him to get the best quality care a life shared a full time partners is no longer tenable. But with this reality in mind, and with the history that that the two of you shared, there is not any reason why you can not still call and visit him and remain a friend who can be supportive without assuming all the responsibilities of being his spouse. Your guilt is at least partly due to the fact that you are a caring and feeling person and none of us can just turn off the intense feelings we have for someone we have loved profoundly once it is clear that the relationship is no longer meeting our or our partner's needs.

Best of luck during this terribly difficult period. I feel for you.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Dementia
Next
if you are WORRIED WELL you're not alone

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.