Dementia

What is the result of dementia in layman's terms?

I read that dementia is one of the symptoms of AIDS-is it on the advanced or early stage of AIDS symptoms.So far,is dementia a very common symptom of AIDS?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Dementia is a very simplistic term for a very complex and diverse reality known as HIV related Neuro-psychiatric symptoms. This is when the virus affects a person's central nervous system. There are a host of symptoms that include all or some of the following: a change in motor abilities; change in how a person talks; reduced or loss of short term memory; increased anxiety or depression, full blown mood swings and even psychotic symptoms. It can be present in early HIV but more usually does not occur until the disease has progressed. Now with antiretroviral drugs that cross the blood brain barrier many of the symptoms are reversible or even preventable with the use of the combination therapy.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Should I be worried? Should I be terrified?
Coming apart....