How advanced is the disease - dementia?

My nephew lives in a 3rd world country and may not have the facilities available that you do here. He has had Aids for 6 years. He has symptoms of short-term memory loss, loses control of bodily functions and is unaware of it, erratic behaviour, mood swings and is constantly restless. We have have been told that his brain is (shrinking) causing excess fluid. What symptoms can we expect to see as the disease progresses and what is the life expectancy from this level. I will pass this information on to my sister who is unable to do research as we are.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Actually I am not the best person to respond to this question as I am not a physician and you are in fact asking a very sophisticated and complex medical question. Please resubmit your question to the Body's medical expert so that you can get the the most comprehensive and accurate response. I apologize for not being qualified to answer you.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

both + depressed, exhausted, broke
Now he's positive too