Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

both + depressed, exhausted, broke
Mar 14, 2000

Doc, I was diagnosed in Sept. '99 with over 500,000 VL and 2 T-cells. Currently on an avalanche of meds and doing better but suffering with severe depression and fatigue -mental and physical. Now my lover confesses that he too is + and is under no treatment. Social security would not disable me and we are both working ourselves to death. The hospital bills wiped out my life's savings, my bills go unpaid and our business is going belly up. He props me up and is now at the end of his rope and lately we both have had familial and social disasters in our lives on top of all the other obvious problems (like shingles, loss of sex drive).We have even discussed/argued about a suicide pact. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like all hope is lost and maybe we should just take each other out. Even my clinic is breaking up , my only source of security and sanity. I'm on Paxil, Trazadone, Xanax, Temazepam, Lorazepam, oxandrin and deca not to mention the cocktail and weight/ appetite control. I'm losing it as is my partner and need help. Thanks, I know you're not a magician.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

You have not said whether the two of you are in any kind of counseling? Support groups are free at local AIDS service organizations, and this is an option that you guys should really explore. Some AIDS organizations also offer some limited counseling for individuals and couples. Are you guys even clients at your local AIDS organization? This would be the best and most logical place to begin to obtain the kind of support each of you individually and you both as a couple need during this terribly stressful and difficult time. Another option to explore is to call the social work department at the hospital at ask to have an appointment with one of their social workers. He or she may know of resources that you are unaware of.

Best of luck. I know how overwhelming this is at the current time. But there are ways to ease the burdens.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
What Can Counsellors Do?
Next
How advanced is the disease - dementia?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.