suicide & HIV

Dear Michael,

After finding out I was HIV+ I tried to commit suicide. I did die but was brought back to life by the hospital and was in ICU for 7 days. I am still depressed about having HIV. And depressed about what I did. Also I have a drinking problem which I am trying to get help for. Can you please offer me any help?

Martin

Response from Mr. Shernoff

The only help I can offer you is to urge you to do two things. First please ask your doctor for a referral to a good therapist who is experienced in working with people with HIV, depression and alcohol problems. You need professional help, and most probably antidepressant medication. The second thing I urge you to do is to find a local beginner's meeting of AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) and start attending meetings every day. Once you go to AA pick up some literature and read it. You need a lot of support for both your depression and drinking. If you do not stop drinking it will be almost impossible to treat your depression as alcohol is a depressant.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Questions
Dear Michael