loss of will?

I am 23 and full blown, only lately have I been severly depressed. I have always had great outlook on this life with this disease....now I have lost my will to live completely..I stopped my HIV meds, and dont want to start back, I have no will to fight...why all of a sudden?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

There are any number of reasons why you are feeling this way now. It is possible that you had always been somewhat depressed and living with AIDS exacerbated the previously not as severe symptoms of depression. Perhpas you mobilized yourself to the initial crisis of having been diagnosed and now all of your feelings of living with a chronic illness are emerging. Being so young and facing the prospects of many years of life having to deal with all the ramifications of having AIDS and the treatments could have contributed to your current state of mind. What each of us who is HIV+ has to do on a daily basis to take care of our mental, emotional and spiritual health, and what an enormous responsibility this is to take care of ourselves as adults could also be overwhelming you. Very often there is an incident that happenend that triggered the depression. But since I have never met you and not been able to do a complete in-person evaluation, I really have no idea why all of a sudden you have become depressed.

But that is not really important. What is crucial is that you ask your primary care doctor for a referral to a mental health professional immediately so you can begin to get your depression treated. Living with a life-threatening illness is no picnic. Having to take antiretroviral therapy is a real pain in the ass, especially if you had been experiencing any side effects. I urge you to seek out professional counseling so that together with this counselor you can first take the necessary steps to reduce the symptoms of depression that are currently immobilizing you and causing you to feel so powerless and hopeless that you have stopped taking care of yourself. Once you are feeling better then in your therapy you can work with your counselor to figure out what caused the depression at this time. Best of luck, but call your doctor to ask him or her to recommend someone for you to call today!

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Being reminded of Social Phobias
Sex with infected person without getting infected?