Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I tell my partner?
Jul 25, 2000

I recently found out I was HIV + and am in a quandary about whether to tell my partner. If I do I am terrified it will be the end of the relationship and then I will be alone. I don't feel that it would be impossible to get another partner but I now find myself in a situation whereby I have to ask myself "Do I tell her? Don't I?" It would be better if I do but somehow I wonder if it should not come out naturally? Maybe I should wait until I get sick and then the truth will be revealed.

Can you help me?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Only the truth can help you. How can you even consider continuing in a relationship that is not based on honesty? This does not say very much for how you feel about your partner. You are so very self-involved right now that it takes my breath away. Of course it will be scary, but if this is a good relationship it will weather this crisis. There is no way it can survive your dishonesty.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
WHAT SPECIAL MENTAL SUPPORT WILL HE NEED???
Next
I would like to help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.