The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Sep 3, 2017

Hiv undectectable for 17 years. Today 8/7/17 i got the news that i have syphilis but doctor dont know how long since he never did the test for me before n i never had any symptoms of anything. He decided to run that test now just to check, i got my 1st treatment n need to go for 2 more n then another blood test in 3 months. Im upset because i always play safe until a couple of days ago. That i was invited to a sex party n decided that why not. Now im afraid to play with anyone n its driving me crazy because i love sex. N i feel i need to wait 3 months to see the results.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I understand your concern and frustration. It's a good idea to regularly include a test for syphilis (RPR) in your routine bloodwork - that way you can catch it quite soon.

Since you always play safe it seems likely that you acquired it just a few days ago and it was caught early. Because there are areas where drug-resistant syphilis is on the rise it is important to monitor your symptoms carefully and follow your doctor's recommendations.

Depending on where you live your doctor or clinic may ask you to identify other persons that may also have been exposed. If you know them personally you should let them know so they can also get treatment and avoid infecting even more people.

Finally, ask your doctor about sex with condoms. That is still the best way to play safe.

Good luck to you,


Undetectable untransmitable
HIV positive woman with HIV negative man

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint