Hiv symptoms and mood swings

Hi.. I'm just wondering if an undiagnosed hiv infection may be causing one's mood swings towards their partner. The person with mood swings believes its some witchcraft attack... but i suspect hiv infection. However they 're not keen on getting tested yet. Thanks

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. HIV can impact mood, but usually at a more advanced point. Anxiety and depression are common in people living with HIV, both because of some physiological factors that are not totally understood, and (probably mostly) from the psychosocial stressors of living with HIV.

I think it's very possible that mood swings toward you may indicate that the other person has lots on their mind, for example, they may alo have a feeling that they have been exposed to HIV, or have other behaviors or experiences that they are not sharing with you. That stress is more likely to cause mood swings than a possible HIV infection.

I would recommend working on communication and, of course, ultimately getting tested. That is the only definitive way to know and the sooner the better if they are indeed HIV positive.

Best,

David

HIV Positive Husband and wife
The proper answer