sleep disturbance and depression

Edurant (rilpivirina) + Generic kivexa (abacavir and lamivudina) -4 months Sertralina 100mg and triticum ac-. Long term.

My partner takes the above meds. He has anxiety and depression but since the change he is suffering from sleep disturbance and suicidal thoughts but the docs keep telling him to hang in there. Some days he doesn't sleep others he sleeps 15 hours. Any suggestions? What could he tell his doctor to change? Which med is causing this unbelievable stress on him?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I am sorry to hear about your partner's symptoms. Several of the medications you name could be responsible for, or at least aggravate, the symptoms you describe. I suspect Edurant may be playing a significant role. It can cause depression and very low moods, low energy, and even increased thoughts of suicide or self-harm.

Kivexa also can create psychological side effects, including tiredness, lethargy, and malaise. His physician may be trying to counteract these symptoms with sertraline (Zoloft), an SSRI antidepressant, which may not be working. Trying to find the right antidepressant can be very frustrating, as an individual may respond to one and not the other, or may find a particular drug very effective for a period of time only to realize it has stopped working.

Given the severity of your partner's symptoms I would strongly suggest that his doctor take a look at modifying his medication regimen. It's not unusual for symptoms to appear when one begins taking the medication, but if they persist that is a problem.

Wishing you and your partner all the best,

David

Suicide thoughts
PreP