Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Trump Obama Care Executive Order

Jan 29, 2017

I am writing to you because you are from Florida and certainly, if you don't know have access to other experts who do. I have read all of the online news analysis of President Trump's executive order but none address the order's impact on HIV Positive people. For me, I am worried because I in the market place, and I have already began changing Florida Blue policies from my current policy to a new policy that will take effect on March 1. I have already received a letter stating the change has been made but I have not paid my new premium because I am struggling to pay my February premium. With the help of my local HIV clinic, I will make my payment before March 1. However, does the new executive order or the actions of Congress allow them to deny me coverage or change the new premium first because I am changing policies and second, I have the pre-existing condition of HIV. You are from Florida, and the executive order giving states greater control and flexibility can only mean Florida will do everything possible to abuse this new latitude to the detriment of citizens and especially those of us in the gay community who have pre-existing conditions. I would appreciate any assistance because I know this applies to other people in other states too. Thank you for your anticipated response.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I totally understand your worry about the ACA and what will replace it, a concern you share with thousands of others.

Unfortunately, at this time, no one really knows what will happen. The situation is very fluid which is extremely difficult to for someone who much have access to care and medications with no break in treatment. I would certainly pay all current premiums so that there is no break in coverage and look to your local AIDS Service Organization (or a case manager) for guidance as the situation continues to evolve.

A few weeks ago I wrote an article for people in your situation with techniques to manage the anxiety in this current environment before we know what will happen. Here is the link to that piece called "Will I lose my health insurance? Practical Tips to Manage Uncertainty while ACA Repeal Looms."

Finally, be sure to frequently check sites like TheBody - there will be plenty of up-to-date information for you.

Wishing you (and all of us!) the best,

David

Previous
Obsessed with the virus (but with a history of sexual abuse and alcocholism)
Next
Rapid test Alere and insti

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.