Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Cognitive impairment ADHD and long term HIV

I have been HIV+ for 25 yrs and undetectable for 10yrs. I am a poster child for ADHD and have a family history of Alzheimers. I am 50 year old male in otherwise good health. I am starting to see a marked decline in cognitive functioning. I am forgetting names, what I had for dinner, etc. My ADHD has become more pronounced, spelling was never my strong point and is how horrendous not to mention my typing. It has started affecting my professional life. My partner has even made a comment from time to time. I have spoken to my infectious disease doc of 15 yrs and he thinks its normal aging. I'd like to see a neurologist... Do you think this is the direction I should go?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. You have captured a concern that many of us wonder about as we age with HIV. It is difficult to discern the causes of such symptoms. It could be normal aging, the virus, or even the medications. A significant portion of persons living with HIV over the long term have what's called minor neurocognitive impairment. This can include the symptoms you describe, as well as handwriting, balance, gait, etc..

Unfortunately it's difficult to determine even with neurological tests. Since you are relatively young and experiencing such symptoms it might be worthwhile to get some neuropsychological testing. This is rather involved (usually several days) and expensive, but it will give you a baseline for future evaluation. I would recommend starting with a neurologist and see what he/she recommends at that point.

Best,

David

Can anyone answer my question?
Anxiety and meth