The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can anyone answer my question?

Jan 19, 2015

Ok so here it is... I'm 44 and a hiv+ woman who is undectable and had acd4 of 1200+. I'm a care giver and would love to go to school to become a nurse. So my question is will me being hiv+ affect me becoming a nurse, should I find a different field of schooling I just don't want to waste my time or money to find out I am not allowed to be a nurse because of my hiv status.

Response from Mr. Chambers

Unfortunately, I am unable to give you a definite answer to your situation, however, I am optimistic about your ability to be a nurse while being positive.

Licensing of medical personnel is handled by each state and I do not know what state you live in. The trend, however, is not to prohibit a doctor or nurse from practicing just because they are HIV+. The laws in some states still have restrictions, usually on using invasive medical procedures.

To see how it is handled in your state, I encourage you to contact a nursing association in your state or even your city. They will certainly know whether there are any legal restrictions.

Either way, there is still a lot of ignorance about HIV in the general population, so be discrete with your situation. You may also find some resources on the issue at this site.

Good luck in school. Jacques

Stress of people living with HIV/AIDS
Cognitive impairment ADHD and long term HIV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint