Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Can anyone answer my question?

Ok so here it is... I'm 44 and a hiv+ woman who is undectable and had acd4 of 1200+. I'm a care giver and would love to go to school to become a nurse. So my question is will me being hiv+ affect me becoming a nurse, should I find a different field of schooling I just don't want to waste my time or money to find out I am not allowed to be a nurse because of my hiv status.

Response from Mr. Chambers

Unfortunately, I am unable to give you a definite answer to your situation, however, I am optimistic about your ability to be a nurse while being positive.

Licensing of medical personnel is handled by each state and I do not know what state you live in. The trend, however, is not to prohibit a doctor or nurse from practicing just because they are HIV+. The laws in some states still have restrictions, usually on using invasive medical procedures.

To see how it is handled in your state, I encourage you to contact a nursing association in your state or even your city. They will certainly know whether there are any legal restrictions.

Either way, there is still a lot of ignorance about HIV in the general population, so be discrete with your situation. You may also find some resources on the issue at this site.

Good luck in school. Jacques

Stress of people living with HIV/AIDS
Cognitive impairment ADHD and long term HIV