Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Trouble getting insurance approval for psychotherapy
Jul 29, 2014

I just read the response for the person who couldn't get antidepressant medication unless they also got therapy. I am currently with a large HMO with blue logos and I had to fight to get a therapist and meds. It is very discouraging in this system (which I am dropping at the next Medicare open enrollment) This is a new trend. I don't agree as theses big healthcare companies are just getting away from any mental health providers at all. After fighting, screaming and finally a Medicare grievance Ii am going to a therapist. It took 6 months after my primary referral before I even was able to get a psychiatrist within an hour's drive its really impossible unless in a big city. As a former psych professional (now disabled) this saddens me greatly.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. Mental health benefits are supposed to have parity (be the same as) medical benefits but with various copays, pre-authorizations, and other obstacles actually getting care can be difficult. If you have a case manager you can ask them to help you maneuver the system.

Best, David

Previous
Can I contract HIV/AIDS this way?
Next
Memory loss

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.