I can't lose my brain

Hi Doc,

Doc you are great and you all are doing great job here I have accepted my recent diagnosis. It is no matter to me whatever I am supposed to lose from my life. No matter how much complication I may have in future, how many years I am going to live. But I will fight. But I can't accept damage of my brain. I don't know how much will it damage my brain. Will I be able to think how I was earlier. If it is going to damage my brain (may be slowly) then there is no point to continue the journey.

You can support me mentally, But I really want a detail possible impact on brain and how to stop it. At least now I can analyse and want to analyse it myself.

By the way, I am 25 only: and did a single life changing mistake

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Hello and thanks for writing. I understand your concern about losing cognitive function due to HIV. This is, of course, a concern for most of us! The good news is that by taking care of yourself maintaining an undetectable viral load and keeping your t-cells as high as possible you will put yourself at the lowest possible risk for any brain-related problems due to HIV. We know that HIV-related cognitive impairment is most prevalent in people whose viral load has been very low at some point. While dementia was once common, the most typical AIDS-related brain concern today is minor cognitive motor impairment.

While there are no guarantees, the best practice is to keep yourself as healthy as possible. At age 25 you have a long life ahead of you full of possibilities.

Take care,

David

Response from Dr. Fawcett

My bad! I meant to say that cognitive impairment is most prevalent in people whose t-cell count has been very low at some point. Sorry for any confusion.

Concerned friend
What should I do as a friend?