The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Concerned friend

Jun 29, 2014

Morning Doctor,

I have a friend who was diagnosed with HIV in 2009, she was very ill - nearly lost her. She took her medication and got better in time. My concern is that she stopped taking her medication and it's been two years now and now she has the flu. It's been weeks now with coughing and she doesn't want to see the DR.

I am afraid she might get very ill again and this time I lose her for she is so stubborn and don't take life very seriously. How can I convince her to go for check up ?

Response from Dr. Fawcett


Thank you for writing and for being a good friend. It can be both frustrating and emotionally painful to watch someone you care about stop taking care of themselves. You can't force treatment on anyone but you can encourage them to get support. Not taking HIV medications will have inevitable results and two years is a seriously long time. As you know, she clearly needs a medical evaluation. In many cases such resistance is due to depression or other unexpressed emotional concerns which are affecting decision-making. Make it clear to your friend that you support her and want what is best for her. Strongly encourage her to speak about what is bothering her to you or someone else. Let her know you hear her concerns and that you understand how she could feel that way.

Here is a link to a page on TheBody that will be useful for you.

Good luck to you and your friend,


Problems sleeping and Wellbutrin
I can't lose my brain

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint