Tired of being sad

About 6 months ago I slowly stopped using Celexa - and I thought I was fine without it and I didn't like the sexual side effects when I was on it. After losing my job, and other dramatic changes, I got seriously depressed about 6 weeks ago. My new HIV doctor (in a new state) said she would only write a prescription for an antidepressant if I got regular/weekly mental health sessions with a therapist. Unfortunately - I have had to move in with my parents who don't approve of seeing a therapist. Since I have no car, no job & no friends - they know where I am 24 hours a day. I don't feel I can go to therapy, and I can't get an anti-depressant from my doctor I am so tired of crying, being sad and feeling this way. What can I do?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Your doctor is correct when she insists you also need therapy. The best outcomes for depression result from a combination of psychotherapy and antidepressants. I don't know the specifics of your situation and how far you can push back against your parent's ignorance, but I am concerned about the increase of your depressive symptoms. Perhaps you can ask your doctor if she could help you in speaking with your parents about the importance of therapy. Utilize any other supports to convince them or else speak with a case manager about moving out. Denying treatment is dangerous and cruel. Please utilize all your resources to get yourself the help you need.

David

Concerned friend
Anxiety at bedtime