How can I help my friend?

My question is how can I help my 27 year old friend who is stressed ever since she found out about her status? This is even affecting her studies which might even disturb her future as well.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing and for your concern about your friend. Receiving news that one is HIV positive is a shock and requires a long period of adaptation and processing. It is important for your friend to get lots of support, both professional and peer. I feel the best thing you can do is simply let her know that you will be there for her. As she goes through her unique process toward acceptance she may want to share what's on her mind or or need privacy. She will have easy days and tougher ones. Your consistent presence (and that can mean simply listening and not trying to provide solutions) will be immensely helpful for her.

Here a link to a resource page on TheBody for friends and family of persons living with the virus:

Best wishes to you both,

David

Confirmation
Is it a coincidence that antidepressants have helped with other physical problems?