Did my mental illness cause my HIV?

Hello Dr Fawcett,

In 1994 after a brief period in the USMC I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.I took my meds for a while but then I stopped them because I thought there was nothing wrong with me. So for years Ii was living a very a manic, compulsive and a destructive out-of-control life. I was drinking and having sex to try and combat my mental illness. Then in 2002 I found out I was HIV positive. So then I decided if I didn't get a hold on my mental illness that I was going to die soon. I think I was trying to kill myself by getting infected with HIV/AIDS.I have a schizoaffective diagnosis now. I take all my meds as prescribed. My question is do you think my mental illness was a factor and contributed to my HIV?

Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. There are definite associations between mental health concerns and both the risk for becoming infected with HIV and the health outcomes for persons living with the virus. It is very possible that your schizophrenia and alcohol use put you at much higher risk to become infected.

The important thing is that you realized the path you were on and had the willingness to begin taking your medications consistently. I assume you have also addressed your alcohol use. Taking all your meds as prescribed whether for mental health or HIV is critical both for a physical health and quality of life. Keep up the good work!

Best,

David

Depression, HIV and Antidepressants
Alcohol and antiretroviral therapy