Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can Oral thrush be caused by uri, stress and nutition
Apr 12, 2014

I recently developed thrush on tongue as well as oral sores on one area of gum. I have been under stress and mild depression. Last week was on a bus for 12 hours where it was uncomfortably cold and was sleep deprived. Next night I had no sleep on a camping trip as it was too cold and uncomfortable to sleep. Shortly afterward developed sore throat and upper respiratory infection symptoms and most recently noted oral symptoms previously described. You had previously addressed the question of stress, but can a cold or upper respiratory infection and ongoing stress and poor nutrition sufficiently compromise the immune system so as to cause the oral symptoms I described? PS Sexual activity limited to providing fellatio to other males.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. All of the factors your describe fatigue, depression, poor nutrition, a cold can contribute to getting oral thrush. In the medical literature thrush has been associated with clinical depression, being less satisfied with life, having poorer self esteem, and perceiving one's life to be more stressful than others.

Because thrush can be symptomatic of many concerns, you need to speak with your healthcare provider about your symptoms. Be certain to take a close look at the stressors in your life and start addressing them. Speaking with a counselor might give you some support in devising such a plan and getting some skills that can help you better control these issues.

Take care,

David

Previous
Obsessive thoughts
Next
ON COMPLERA SINCE 4/23/13 & CD4 LEVELS UP & DOWN

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.