Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Obsessive thoughts
Apr 12, 2014

Hi Doc.

I'm a college student. In the last one year I've been behaving like a zany person, washing hands several times in a day. All the time I think about HIV. After any activity I supposed HIV virus has entered in my body. What can I do doc? Also I never make a physical relation with any girl and never had sex with anyone. Doc I'm very afraid about my life , doc please help me give me the reply as soon as possible your answer give me a positive thoughts....

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. Your risk for HIV is extremely low so fears about contracting the virus seem extremely unrealistic. Obsessive compulsive behaviors, such as washing hands or obsessive worry about unrealistic fears, can be a serious and very disruptive condition. Please speak with your healthcare provider who can do a more thorough assessment and make some recommendations to get you relief. Medications (such as some SSRI antidepressants) are effective at reducing symptoms, as is cognitive behavioral therapy.

There is help for you please speak with your doctor soon.

David

Previous
different tests results with partner
Next
Can Oral thrush be caused by uri, stress and nutition

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.