Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Masturbation addiction
Apr 12, 2014

Contrary to what other sites say, I've had excess problems due to this. I've had considerable hair loss, blurring of vision, breast development, huge weight loss, stunting of height etc. Worse part is the depression, loss of concentration, and losing interest to do anything. In the past 3 years I did it every day, sometimes 3 times a day . What should i do sir please help save my life.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. Compulsive sexual behavior is a serious problem. Any connection between the physical symptoms you describe and your "masturbation addiction" is difficult to make, but there is certainly a relationship between this behavior and depression, loss of concentration, and losing interesting in other things.

Contrary to what many people think, compulsive sexual behavior is not about sex but rather a way to escape from uncomfortable thoughts or feelings. Sex soothes by stimulating the release of neurotransmitters that numb emotional (and physical) pain. As someone starts to rely on this behavior, mood disruptions can occur and, ironically, normal sexual functioning is impacted.

There is help. Speak with your healthcare provider about what you can do to find relief. In the meantime you can read more about this condition here.

Take care,

David

Previous
Crisis intervention /counseling for recently diagnosed HIV person
Next
different tests results with partner

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.