Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV/Depression & Neurological Issues
Mar 16, 2014

My problem is the same as many you've answered before regarding HIV & Depression/Anxiety. I'd like to ask your opinion if you think that perhaps there may be a neurological problem going on & how would I go about asking their ID doctor to look into that? I am on both HIV medication, and psych medication (Celexa) but now want to add Wellbutrin. I'm really starting to get tired of all these meds... side effects, feeling like a guinea pig. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. Someone living with HIV/AIDS is at greater risk for both depression and anxiety. Other neurological concerns can occur, as well, although with antiretroviral medication the worst of these have become quite rare and those that do occur can be very subtle.

Your viral load, CD4 counts, history, psychological symptoms, and a number of other factors are involved in getting an accurate diagnosis. You don't mention what symptoms you are having. If it is anxiety, then Wellbutrin could be an effective drug. The best way to address this is to simply bring up your concerns with your provider. Only through a face-to-face discussion can an appropriate course of treatment (or further testing) be determined.

Take care,

David

Previous
HIV positive sister
Next
HIV w/ PTSD

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.