The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dad just diagnosed

Feb 18, 2014

My dad, who my kids and I live with after my divorce, just told me that he has HIV. He has probably had it for at least a decade without knowing. His viral load is around 320. I am totally n support of my dad, raised me-I love him. I have two questions...what do I need to do for my kids (5,2) to protect them. I think I just have to worry about blood to blood, but I just need verification. Also, they started him on medication. If his cd 4 count is already at 320... What is his prognosis? No other illnesses that I know of.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

You do not need to worry about HIV transmission as the virus is not transmitted via casual contact. For instance, if your dad were to cut himself while preparing dinner, transmission would not be possible. He would simply wash anything with blood on it, put a bandaid on and he could keep on making dinner for the family. No risk.

I would suggest checking out our section on HIV Prevention. There you'll find a wealth of information on how HIV is, and is not transmitted.

Now that he has started HAART I am sure his health will continue to improve and he will continue to be there for both you and your children.

All he needs is for you to show him that you love and accept him for who he is.

In health,


needle prick injury
CD4 count decreasing with allergy shots.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint