Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

OCD and HIV
Feb 16, 2014

OCD and I recently had my first child. While pregnant, I had to stop taking my meds and things got pretty rough. I became a huge germ freak! I've never even thought about half of the things I worry about now. While at the doctor one day I sat my purse on a counter where someone had sat their specimen cup and I'm assuming urine got on my purse. I immediately brought the purse home and haven't touched it since! Ever since that day I have been consumed with the thought of aids being spread throughout my house. I wash my hands a ridiculous amount of times, can't touch things I eat without scrubbing like I'm going into surgery, bathe multiple times a day, think that it's on my furniture, and the list goes on. I am back on my meds but I'm having trouble overcoming the compulsions and worries. I now go out in public thinking it's on everything I touch and have to change clothes before I hold my child. My husband works in the ER and I feel like he's covered in it! He's sick of giving me reassurance and doesn't understand my OCD thoughts. It's getting to be very overwhelming! Do you have any advice to overcome this irrational fear? I need reassurance that this is indeed an irrational fear and that it is ok to eat without washing my hands, touching my underwear etc... I have been making myself do these things but the worry still exits. I have only been back on my meds for a few weeks. Help!

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. Congratulations on having your baby! Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder that can occur in higher frequency with either HIV or post-partum. You can read more here. As you have discovered, these fears are not rational and therefore trying to talk yourself out of having them will simply not work. You may also discover that the scope of your anxiety expands over time.

There are effective treatments for OCD. I would suggest finding a psychotherapist specializing in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) for this condition. Your physician may also want to prescribe one of certain antidepressants which, as an adjunct to CBT, effectively reduce these irrational thoughts.

Don't hesitate to act- this is a serious but treatable illness which impacts not only you but your family.

Good luck,

David

Previous
getting tired of asking:( someone please answer
Next
Donation made - please help me

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.