Comment from reader: Don`t wait for an arv combo to destroy your mind: switch!

Dear Dr. David, On June 2, 2013 a person asked you about his depressive problems with Atripla and the Reyataz-Norvir-Truvada combo. I just would like to say that I went through the same problems: started with Atripla (Efavirenz+Truvada)and had terrible depression mnmediately, then in less than a month my doctor switched me the Reyataz-Norvir-Truvada combo which gave me again terrible mood and suicidal disorders. Curiously my doctor told me the same thing: you have run out of options, but hell no I said, I still have other options or classes of ARVS, and until I try them all, there is no way to say I run out of options. So I demanded furiously and courteously to switch again but this time to Complera, since I knew Truvada was not my problem. Unfortunately Complera is still not available in the Latin American country where I live, so finally I was able to switch to Isentress+Truvada, and I am doing relatively ok. But I know that if Isentress should not work properly for me in the long run, I still have other options like Tivicay and Stribild, and/or whatever the future has out there. So my point is that if any HIV+ patient is having mental disorders with ARVS he shouldn't wait years to switch, like this person above mentioned. Best regards to you.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

This comment from a reader underscores the need to work with providers to find the best possible solution to address multiple concerns, including mental health issues.

Thanks for writing.

Anti depressant meds
Medication options for Depression/Anxiety?