Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My friend just told me he is HIV+. What do I do?
Dec 24, 2013

My friend just told me he is HIV+. I am pretty sure I am in shock. I listened to him tell me that he found out on his birthday. He has been trying to tell me for the last two months as he wanted to tell me in person, but told me 1 hour ago.

I feel...everything...sad, mad, anger, frustration, grief...everything. I don't know what to do with myself so I find myself journaling and trying to breathe. This isn't a death sentence as it once was; I know that. I know he has access to medication as he is in the service so I know he is good on that front. I love him and I am feeling scared but kept it together so he doesn't feel bad. Is he in pain? I am driving to see him tomorrow. I can't believe it.

What do I do? I am at a loss for words.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thank you for writing. Hearing that someone we care about has tested HIV positive brings a flood of emotions. Despite lots of medical options and good prognoses it is not an easy road and we feel that at a deep level.

You sound like you have good listening skills and that will be most important now. Your friend doesn't need you to solve his problems, he just needs to be heard and supported. You also appear to have good skills in terms of accessing your feelings, breathing, and journaling. These are excellent resources and may be powerful tools for your friend as well.

Learning to live with HIV is a process that occurs gradually and in many phases. Having good skills and strong support will have a tremendous impact on your friend's health. Here is a list of resources for HIV-affected people (friends, family, caregivers) with useful links. I'll also include a href="http://www.thestigmaproject.org/#!untitled/zoom/c1htl/imagexj9" target=_new>link from The Stigma Project which very effectively summarizes the difference between a helpful conversation and one that can be hurtful.

Best wishes for you and your friend,

David

Previous
How to tell a friend that he needs facial filler?
Next
Dealing with gossip

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.