Observation...

I had a realization last night lying in bed that those who are suicidal are not necessarily suffering from a mental illness. For me, I think about checking out because I am suffering with physical pain. It affects my social life and career, and has been for a decade. This is not living.

I say this because whenever you go to a therapist or some doctors they will ask you if you think about hurting yourself. Of course I'm thinking yes but I never tell them that because they would admit me to a hospital for PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION. They don't think to ask WHY. Do you believe that those who are "suicidal" are always mentally ill? Peace

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. There is no simple or easy answer to what you have observed. The ethical and legal obligation of any healthcare professional is to preserve life. The quality of that life is, of course, an issue. I know people who hold onto the notion of suicide as a means of controlling their lives should pain become overwhelming. They argue that is rational, not pathological. I know many others who have navigated through such periods and are now very much alive and grateful for it. I have found that the option of self-harm can narrow one's perspective, limiting acknowledgment of all the possibilities that may be available.

These are really important issues. I hope you can find a healthcare provider with whom you can honestly discuss your concerns, and that you can find a way to live a healthy, happy, and very full life.

Best,

David

Long Term Survival - Depression & intrusive thoughts
Unprotected