Back to work?

I read your answer about not quitting your job. Now my question is, I took a 6-month leave from work due to HIV diagnosis and OI. I have fully recovered from my PCP and crypto and am now taking prophylaxes. My CD4 has slightly improved from 20 to 91 due to ARVs. I'm actually feeling well for 2 months now. Do you think I can go back to work now, even if CD4 is still low at 91? If I do go back, what practical precautionary measures do you suggest?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. It is very important to closely work with your healthcare provider in making this decision. I have seen clients who felt very well when not working but for whom the stress of returning to a job was just enough to cause their health to suffer. Although your health has improved it may still be tenuous. Many people successfully return back into a job slowly at a part-time level. That may be a good option for you.

Make your plan along with your physician and be ready to adapt as you go. I would also strengthen your stress-management and self-care skills - they will serve you well in any case.

Best wishes to you!

David

CD4 and pregnancy
Long Term Survival - Depression & intrusive thoughts