Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tested positive with mental health concerns
Jul 28, 2013

I'm a 38 year old male who was just tested for HIV. My test came back positive. My CD4 is 814 and I'm still waiting for a number for my viral load. I told myself when I was younger that I would kill myself if I ever got HIV. I know it is not the same outlook as it was back then so I am torn. I also have PTSD so it is very hard to keep my depression in check as I have no insurance and haven't taken my pills for PTSD in quite awhile. Is there a good resource online for support and info for those recently testing positive? Any secrets on how to fight the depression of living with HIV?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry to hear about your positive test but glad you are open to finding support. A good place to start would be TheBody's resource center for the newly diagnosed. There you can find good information along with personal stories and other helpful links.

Obviously it is really important that you adhere to both your antiretrovirals and your mental health medications. HIV infection puts one at greater risk for depression, and since you already have PTSD/depression it is even more important. If you haven't done so already, get an HIV case manager who can help you navigate the health care system. Ironically, you may discover that you now have better access to all kinds of medication. Of course, there are other ways to help stabilize your moods, including staying socially connected, adequate sleep, and practicing relaxation techniques such as breathing or meditation.

Take care,

David

Previous
Counseling help for spouse of AIDS patient
Next
HIV and pregnancy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.