Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Feeling drunk all the time.
Jun 2, 2013

I was infected with HIV in 2001, but I did not find out about it until 2006. Within a couple of years after infection, I began suffering from lightheadedness, nausea, migraines, and increased fatigue and depression. Since about 2007, my condition has grown worse and I have seen three neurologists, an ENT doctor, primary care doctors, cardiologists and infectious disease doctors. Every test they can think of has yielded negative results. The last year or so my condition has gotten so bad that it feels like I am always intoxicated, like ten or more beers worth. It's constant. I have balance issues, confusion, severe depression, suicidal ideations, debilitating anxiety, trouble sleeping, fatigue, feeling hot, neck pain/stiffness, visual problems, double vision in one eye, and other issues that feel like vertigo. Is this something that I just have to deal with having HIV? I did start meds in a Gilead study about two years ago when my cd4 count got into the 300s. If this is normal, how do people cope with this? I've given careful consideration to ending it just to not have to deal with these effects.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing I'm sorry to read about the numerous difficulties you have experienced over such a long period of time. These severe symptoms are not typical of living with HIV (although many people will experience one or several of them at times). Mental health concerns, such as the depression you mention, can create physical symptoms (as can anxiety). Among your numerous consultations you don't mention a mental health provider, per se. I would recommend getting a thorough assessment to try and determine if some of these symptoms may be rooted in your anxiety and depression.

This is especially important since you mention suicidal thoughts. Such chronic and severe debilitating symptoms can result in such ideas, but I strongly encourage you work with a mental health provider to develop tools and skills to help you better deal with these concerns. While they may not eliminate the symptoms, tools such as relaxation, breathing, and meditation (along with therapies to address any depression or anxiety) will certainly make it easier to live with them.

Best wishes in finding solutions,

David

Previous
My name is Tina
Next
Dating frustrations

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.