Selzentry with Thorazine

Can you please tell me how the selzentry will affect thorazine. My son can only take thorazine. We are out of all options with psychiatric drugs. He needs a med change, and we are waiting for test results on selzentry. We have had such bad experiences in the past with other hiv regimens. We've had to switch just to avoid all the psychotic episodes. He is on complera now, but his vl is 468 after being on it for 4 months. This is the best mental condition he has been in for 19 years since he was infected. I am very worried about the change of meds. His cd4 count is 600. I would appreciate your opinion. I am his caregiver and deal with all of his meds. I know how strong thorazine is and all of the effects of it. I am so hesitant to give him something that will boost thorazine side effects. Thanks so much!

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing and for your dedication in assisting your son. The literature states there are possible interactions with maraviroc (Selzentry) and chlorpromazine (thorazine) due to an impact on a liver enzyme both drugs utilize. This can result in a drop in blood pressure and other symptoms. I would consult with a psychiatrist knowledgeable about HIV (if you can) to be certain that the many complicated side effects of thorazine won't be further aggravated.

Take care, David

Suffering Anxiety after 3 years of HIV Treatment
ageing and HIV?