Stribild and Lexapro

I was recently diagnosed with major depression and some anxiety and was prescribed Lexapro (5mg/day for now). I am on Stribild and my psychiatrist said that it interacts with SSRIs and that Lexapro was a safer bet (due to its shorter half life). What is the interaction (what does it cause)? Does the cobicistat in in Stribild affect the levels of Lexapro in my body? Can I take them at the same time or do I need to space them out? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Fawcett

You are correct. Both the elvitegravir and cobicistat in Stribild can cause increased SSRI concentrations. While SSRIs are generally considered to be very safe, the recommendation is to monitor and adjust the antidepressant dose accordingly.

Don't forget that psychotherapy, in addition to medication, shows the most effective results for treating depression and anxiety.

Take care,

David

Can Ecstasy and GHB accelerate HIV?
Suffering Anxiety after 3 years of HIV Treatment