Valdoxan

I have a few questions. To start, I'm recently HIV positive and have been dealing with it well with a good support group of family and friends. I have had PTSD with bad panic attacks for 6-9 months now and have decided to go on medication. I was on Zoloft many years ago for 9 months after losing my parents. It worked well after horrible side effects (I am very drug sensitive).I tried to go back on Zoloft this time round but was too much even with a tiny bite of the pill and taking diazepam.

So I have chosen a new drug called Valdoxan. I don't know much about it other than it has the least side effects but it does work and my treating doctor wants it too. Do you have any information? Second, no research has been done on this drug with HIV on or off anti viral meds....

I am very health at the moment: cd4 750 viral load 1800 - I'm a slow progressor. I am wanting to start treatment for HIV soon but unsure with the medication and my drug sensitivity.

Any help would be great.

Kind regards

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. Valdoxan is a unique antidepressant that works on melatonin. I could not find any literature concerning its interaction with antiretrovirals, nor have I had any experience with it. You don't mention if you have been diagnosed with depression, or if you are using the antidepressant to treat PTSD. Non-medication treatments show good response for trauma. If you are treating for depression, remember that psychotherapy is an essential adjunct. People have much better outcomes when they combine medication with some form of talk therapy.

You are fortunate that your baseline numbers are good. You should consult with a mental health professional to be certain you have access to a complete range of treatments for PTSD.

Take care,

David

Anxiety side effects from HIV meds
Pot And Depression