Meningitis and Sexual Behavior

I had viral meningitis when I was 9. When I got out, I had to re-learn math. My doctors said there was no damage, but that I would have problems controlling my emotions for the rest of my life. As I grew up, sexual compulsion was a big part of my teenage years. Now I am 40, married, and still dealing with compulsive sexual behavior. My acting out is not regular, but happens a couple of weeks a year. I love my wife. Can there be a relation between meningitis and this behavior

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I don't know of any specific studies linking meningitis and compulsive behaviors, although it does have neurocognitive consequences. Because your sexual acting out is relatively infrequent (a couple of weeks a year), I believe the chance of such causality is even more remote.

That said, compulsive sexual behavior can be emotionally painful for everyone. There are support groups widely available (SAA and SLAA). You might also want to check out books by Patrick Carnes such as "Don't Call It Love: Recovery from Sex Addiction" to learn more about what it is and how to get help.

Take care,

David

Clinical trials
Atripla and Diazepam