Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ AA groups
Mar 14, 2013

Do you (or possibly a reader) know if there is a website that helps you locate AA meetings for HIV+ people? I realize, if this exists, it might be limited to meetings in major metropolitan areas.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I don't know of any such central listing. I checked with Alcoholics Anonymous World Services who reported that each local intergroup would have that information. You will find that large urban areas are more likely to have such meetings. Check your local meeting listings or call your intergroup they should be able to help.

Best wishes,

David

Response from Dr. Fawcett

This additional information was submitted by readers. Thank you!

Hi - This is regarding the person who asked about HIV+ AA resources. The Los Angeles Central Office is the only one where the phone banks are staffed 24/7, and they have resources to locate meetings all across the country. If an HIV+ group in a particular city has registered, the LA Central Office is likely to know about them. They will also help someone find the closest HIV+ to them if not in their city. AA Central Office 24 hour line is (800) 923-8722.

David this is not a question, but a response. I will be sober 22 years if I make it until October. Have the guy that asked about this to look for Lambda type groups in his area. I have been pos since 2007 and that is where I find AA groups that are good with HIV. You are right though there are not any special groups for HIV+. My sponsor told me when I was diagnosed that now I live with two fatally progressive diseases and that I have to take care of the HIV with the same intensity I have taken care of my alcoholism. I was diagnosed in Oklahoma City and now live back in Midland Texas. There are a couple of others in sobriety out here that are pos. I hope this helps.

Previous
Still affected by bad episode with weed after a month....
Next
Synephrine and capsicum with HIV meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.