Avascular Necrosis

I had never heard of it before, but my doctor just told me he thinks I have avascular necrosis (AVN), causing hip joint pain. I asked around to friends and, to my surprise, there are many guys in their 30's and older with AVN showing up. Has anyone studied patients with AVN to see if there is a definite link to a specific med or group of meds that may be causing this? And, has anyone been cured of it without having to undergo hip joint replacement surgery?

Avascular necrosis of the hip has been reported to be increased in HIV persons. Use of some of the older HIV regimens, steroid use, alcohol use, high triglycides, smoking, and numerous other systemic diseases have been linked to increased risk for avascular necrosis of the hip. None of the currently recommended HIV meds in the US has been clearly linked to an increased risk. There are a number of other interventions besides hip replacement that are under evaluation for management depending on individual situation (remodeling of bone, bone decompression, electric stimulation and others). KH

Both of us are positive can we have sex?
Is HIV virus can mask or interfere with syphilis result?