Low sex drive

About a month ago I started my HIV medication and I'm not as sexually active as I used to be. Does the medication have an effect? How can I improve?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. Sexual desire and functioning depend on a variety of complex physical and psychological factors, including age, medications, various illnesses, emotions, etc. It's hard to say why this is happening now, although some antiretrovirals do have documented sexual side effects. Speak with your physician about your concerns. The two of you should be able to collaborate to better identify the potential causes and solutions. Erectile dysfunction drugs are quite common for men but these only address symptoms and not the underlying cause (and only work about 80% of the time).

A decline of sexual activity certainly isn't something that is destined to happen, especially after only a month on meds. I believe you should be able to find a solution.

David

Concerned about increasing depression
Does drinking Chinese tea (Gunpowder or Green Tea) affect HIV treatment?