Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Silence after disclosure what now?
Dec 2, 2012

Hi,

I have been seeing a guy (I'm female) for several months and like him a lot. Although we haven't had sex yet, we have been on several dates and we are work colleagues. We have expressed strong feelings for each other and I can see myself with him long term. So, I revealed my HIV status to him. It was extremely hard and it's been a week now and I have not heard a thing from him (he now works in different department building). I'm now afraid he won't want me now. I know it's a huge thing to accept. I'm not on medication (undetectable viral load, t cell count 950). I'm frantic, maybe I shouldn't have told him but I tried to explain as best I could. I thought it would be better to disclose now rather than later. I just wanted to be open and honest. How long should I give him before contacting him? Or should I sit back and wait?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. The timing of disclosure is very personal but I agree that revealing status sooner is important in any kind of serious relationship (and of course before sex). Accepting this news (or not) requires a process that can take various amounts of time. Some people need more information, some need time, and others may never be able to accept it at all. I would give him another week or so and then inquire what is going on. You deserve to know what's happening, as well. If you have a peer network of other people living with HIV speak with them about the situation as it unfolds.

Here is a link to a resource page about disclosure which you may find helpful.

Good luck to you and your friend.

-David

Previous
Atripla and cognitive functioning
Next
Mental preparation for my HIV test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.