barebacking during pep treatment

Hello dr. I had an unsafe sex with someone who's undetectable. He takes atripla for around one year, and his results show less thant 40 copies. Nevertheless, the dr. told me that what I did was fool and transmission of hiv is always possible. He had me to follow the pep treatment for one month. My question, when I meet the guy we do bareback sex again as we believe that the risk is very very low, plus we are both now on medocs. Is it right? Or there is always chance for infection even during pep treatment? Thank you

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. Since your partner is undetectable the likelihood of transmission is lowered but not eliminated. Being on PEP further reduces the chances of transmission, but for those 30 days only. Being the insertive or top partner is another way to lower your risk.

Bottom line: With all of the above mentioned combined the risk of transmission for you as the insertive partner would be fairly low, but there would still be a risk. The question is - are you willing to take that risk? I hope this helps.

In health,

Richard

Nevirapine and Rifampicin
Interaction of ARV with Laminine