Caring for our son

Hello. I have a son on Atripla. His mood is ugly, he is depressed and itching to point of bleeding from scratching. Is it the meds?

Also, If anyone knows of parents that are caring for kids or have kids that are poz, please lets help each other. We can help our kids. I live in Arlington, Texas, and would like to hear from other families on how to cope with this. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry to hear about the symptoms experienced by your son. Both depression and, more rarely, itching have been reported with Atripla. These symptoms often subside after a period of time. Be certain he speaks with his physician about this because such side effects can sometimes lead to non-adherence. He might also find relief in a social support group, if he's not part of one already.

I am heartened to hear of your support for your child. The healing power of families and support is tremendous. Check with your local HIV/AIDS organizations about working with other families. If I hear of anything I'll post an update.

Thanks,

David

Stress, medication and delayed seroconversion
Nevirapine and Rifampicin